The Studio

 

ST JAMES COMMUNITY ARTS CENTRE.

In 1883 Mr Frederick Hartop Holt honorary assistant curate in All Saints’ Church, had the idea of a local mission hall, and personally set about purchasing land and commissioning the work. Thus when the building opened for worship on St James’ Day 1885, it was not as St James’ Parish Church, but as a mission chapel to All Saints’ Church.

St James’ continues to build on its roots as a mission church. Much of our recent activity has been aiming at closer links with the local community through the provision of an Arts Centre and café created 2004 – by major refurbishment of the church Undercroft and next door Parish Hall.